Thursday, July 5, 2012

Only For a Deserving King: E.P.'s "Crowned and Kissed"

When I heard about the Esperanza Spalding concert a couple of weeks ago here in Ann Arbor, MI I knew I would be in the house. There was no question. The show was amazing and there were many new songs from  "Radio Music Society" that I hadn't heard yet. One in particular: "Crowned & Kissed" left a lasting impression on me. 





When you hear a song that peaks your interest so much so that you want to hear it again and again....you buy the CD. I was torn about which CD to get, until I saw that Crowned & Kissed was on her latest. I got through the first two songs easily.....I loved them but wanted to get to the rest of the CD. I was stopped in my tracks (pun intended) because this 3rd track was on repeat for at least 2 days in my CD player. 

Click the link below to READ MORE...





Each time I listened I found new nuggets. Nuggets full of insightful revelations! That's when you know you're listening to substance (music that makes you go hmmm). I recognize that to some the lyrics might seem a little primitive. It tells a story of submission, and that's something the modern day woman can't always relate to. Including myself! But this song became my favorite from the album, because it reflects my expectations in recognizing my King and helps me to understand why I should treat him as such.

 Ephesians 5:22 reads: "Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord." For me this song is an expression of this. Key word here is "wives". 

My favorite part however, is from Ephesians 5:25 which reads: "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her." ;)

Spaldings lyrics are an amazingly wonderful spin of these verses. They bleed passion and demonstrate a remarkable interpretation of the type of union I pray for.




Don't even make a sound, don't worry about a thing
I'm here to love you

My kisses are your crown and I'm your queen

So now lay with me my king

I'm here to love you

Just lay your burdens down

Don't even make a sound, don't worry about a thing

I'm here to love you
My kisses are your crown and I'm your queen
So now lay with me my king
I'm here to love you, to love you
I'm here...


She only sings these beautiful lyrics AFTER laying down the law. 

Once you, put a smile on the sun

Once you, paved the road for everyone

And you, shed the worries of another

And you, lay your burdens down

Once you, carried all the weight on the shoulder
And you, made a way for the future

Lay your burdens down


I also love Amel Larrieux's song "Sacred" (see below) that asks us "is there nothing sacred anymore". Women are so quick to relinquish their bodies with little to no effort by the men who feed on them. Speaking from experience by the way, oh yes, I've been there. But my outlook has changed. If this is an old-fashioned outlook, then so be it. I'm okay with being called old-fashioned to give God that good ole fashioned glory.

Esperanza's list of requirements makes this song different from any other love song I've heard out right now. She spells out exactly what is required to gain her love. And with her love comes trust and submission. This is my favorite song at the moment because after being a nomad around the world and after being the so-called "independent woman" content with my choices, a woman who balked at the word "submission", I can now see how under the correct conditions I am more than willing to do just that. Submit. But of course this is  only "Once you..." ;)

Peace & Blessings,
Kala




Esperanza signing CDs and such. She said she loved my hair.....my year was MADE!




No comments:

Post a Comment